We are looking for people to help us design and make the interiors for our real, functioning Martian House.
The majority of our future visions are technocratic and placed in the hands of specialists only. Our house provides a place for alternative visions of the future – looking at what is possible to build here and now, through people with different skills working together.
The house will be built as a blank canvas. The interiors team will work alongside the artists to design and make prototype objects to go inside. We’ll be thinking together about how to decorate the inside of the house and what objects might be inside – from what you’d want your bedroom to be like, to what soap you’d use or how you’d clean your house.
Things we make might range from larger items like furniture, a low power shower or a kitchenette, to the smaller items of everyday living like Martian clothes, a toothbrush and toothpaste, or wallpaper.
Together we will explore ideas, and decide what needs to be made, responding to the house and scenario of being in a house on Mars.
Our prototype items will go inside the house for the public to see.
What objects do you really need around you?
What might you make if you didn’t have everything at your disposal like on Earth?
How can we live well if we only have the minimum?
We’ll be making things that are:
- Easy to repair
- Multi functional
- Zero waste
This is a voluntary role. We have a pot of money for materials to make the interiors, although it is small. The project is about being resourceful and we will need to make this stretch and find materials for free or recycled where possible.
What will you be doing?
- Spending time in our Martian House
- Attending weekly meet-ups with the artists to discuss ideas, on Saturday afternoons in M Shed Square.
- Working on and developing your projects outside of the sessions.
- Designing and making items for the interior of our martian house.
You should apply if:
- You’re the type of person who likes working on projects at home
- You’re an ideas person
- You are a maker – can sew, do woodwork, DIY, electronics, coding, pottery, painting, gardener, generally crafty (we don’t need you to be an expert but want to have a go)
- You are interested in space
- You are interested in resourcefulness and self sufficiency
- You are self motivated
- You like discussing your ideas within a group and receiving feedback
First meet up on: Saturday 13th August 2-4PM, in M Shed Square, Bristol City Center.
Then every Saturday until the end of October. We expect people to be able to come regularly on most of these Saturdays (if you’re going on a holiday for a couple of weeks that will be fine!)
Closing date for applications – midnight on 30th July.
We will get back to all applicants by 6th August.
Whilst we have no money to pay our interiors team we can offer the following:
- Take part in a project that has been 7 years in the making, contributing to something at the key moment of realisation!
- Opportunity to discuss your ideas with specialists on the project team, such as scientists working on the NASA Insight Lander (currently on Mars).
- Opportunity to display your work, that will be seen by people in the public context of the Martian House, in Bristol City Center.
- We will be hosting a special Martian Dinner party for the interiors team.
- It will be a generally nice time! Hanging out in a Martian House and making ideas.
How to apply
We are keeping this application process as simple as possible. All we’d like to know is a bit about you. We just want a few sentences about who you are and why you are interested. You don’t need to be the best at writing, just show us your enthusiasm.
Submit your application via this link: